In 1835, Frederick Salmon founded St Mark’s Hospital – originally named The Benevolent Dispensary for the Relief of the Poor Afflicted with Fistula and other Diseases of the Rectum. There only 7 beds, and 131 patients were treated in that first year. St Mark's Hospital was one of the first specialist hospitals, and has played a major part in the development of colorectal disease, gastroenterology, and nutrition.
Frederick Salmon worked as a surgeon until 1859, performing more than 3,500 operations with no casualties.
In 1854, the hospital moved to City Road, London, on April 25th - St Mark's Day. The staff still only consisted of a surgeon, a matron, a dispenser, nurses and servants.
In 1995, St Mark’s moved to North West London – to our current home, in Harrow. Now known as simply St Mark’s Hospital, today you will still see ‘Hospital for Fistulas and other Diseases of the Anus and Rectum’ on our door.
St Mark’s Hospital and Academic Institute together form a centre for coloproctology, attracting practitioners from the UK and overseas to enable best practice to be spread to other institutions.
Within the North West London Hospitals NHS Trust, St Mark’s Hospital is headed by Clinical Director, Professor Robin Phillips. The Clinical Director is supported by the Divisional General Manager of Specialist Services who, together with the Dean of St Mark’s Academic Institute, Professor Sue Clark, form the Executive of the Hospital.
St Mark’s Hospital, along with the Hope Hospital, Manchester, is nationally headed to provide the Intestinal Failure Service. This is commissioned from St Mark’s by the National Commissioning Group for Highly Specialised Services.